Malay Language Elective Programme
Tampines Junior College was selected by MOE to be the first centre to offer the Malay Language Elective Programme in 2001.
The objectives of MLEP are:
- To nurture the language talent of students who have the interest and inclination to study Malay language so that they can attain a higher level of proficiency and better understanding of Malay language, literature and culture.
- To provide academically-able students the opportunity to be effective bilinguals; in English and Malay language, to better serve the need of the nation.
The two-year programme in Tampines prepares students to take H2 Malay Language and Literature.
To qualify for the MLEP in Tampines Junior College, students must :
- Meet the admission criteria to Tampines Junior College
- Selected for MLEP by Tampines Junior College
Applicants must have good overall results in GCE ‘O’ level Examination, obtaining at least :
- Grade B3 in Higher Malay ( alternatively grade B4 in Higher Malay and Grade B3 in Malay Literature)
- Grade A2 in Malay Language
- The equivalent of the above based on Integrated Programme (IP) school internal assessment
Students who are successful for the MLEP will enjoy two bonus points for admission to junior college offering the programme.
The Ministry of education will award the scholarship to students who meet the following criteria :
- Outstanding academic performance
- Singapore Citizen/ Singapore Permanent Resident/ children of Singapore citizens
- Short-listed candidates will be invited for the selection interview
- Each scholarship, valued at $1000 per annum with exemption from school fees, is tenable for 2 years
- Renewal of scholarship after JC1 is subject to the scholar’s satisfactory progress and performance at the end of the year
- Scholarship recipients will be fully subsidised (except airfare) for overseas immersion programmes.
A wide array of activities and programmes are pieced together to provide holistic MLEP curriculum to engage our MLEP students in meaningful learning. Many of these activities are developed to enhance language skills and interest in the learning of the Malay language, literature and culture. To promote holistic learning, specialised enrichment activities which allowed building of positive character values and soft skills were developed for the students. The College is actively working to cultivate Malay scholars whom are all-rounded and equipped with 21st century skills. Many of our Malay scholars are confident self-directed learners whom contribute actively to the needs of our community.
- MLEP Motivational Talk by MLEP Alumni
- Talks by Writers
- Cultural Festival for Higher ML students
- Creative Writing Workshops
- Makan d Kawan
- Overseas Immersion Cultural Trip
- MLEP Lecture and Orientation
- Literature Camp
- Saujana Pujangga publication (MLEP Magazine)
For further enquiries, please contact :
Mdm Rosemah bte Rashid
Subject Head Malay Language
Department of Mother Tongue Languages
Updated as of 23 January 2018